A classic top mount kitchen sink can add to the overall design and compatibility of your kitchen.
Don’t confuse top mount sinks with undermount sinks. Below I'll go over the main points (Pros & Cons) of top mount sink design to help you decide at the end if they're for you.
By the way, the main pro of this types of topsink is the durability and the overall life span of the unit.
On the other hand, the main cons are it's very limited in size, it's quite heavy in weight and it tends to be hard to clean around the seam.
The good news is that now the design has been updated and improved, and with the advent of new technologies, you can now get some excellent choices of top mount sinks with a stylish design to fit small spaces, and can even be formed to match with your countertop.
Below is our evaluation of 10 top mount sinks and some of their pros and cons.
1. Ruvati 33 x 22 Inch Drop-in 60/40 Double Bowl 16 Gauge Zero-Radius Topmount Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
- Stylish and efficient design for an affordable price
- Versatile, can be used with or without a garbage disposal
- Good for small kitchens
- Durable and built to last
- The sink can scratch if you’re not careful during installation
- Drain stopper not included
Looking for the best top mount kitchen sinks? Our top pick is this stylish kitchen sink from Ruvati that allows you to fit more into your small kitchen.
This top mount sink has a 33 x 22 inch design and comes with a 45 x 22 inch pre-attached cutting board that slides in from the side. The cutting board is made of bamboo, which is an eco-friendly material not to mention that it’s easy on the eyes, durable, and smooth to the touch.
The sink itself is a single bowl that’s designed with a handy 16 gauge metal that is extremely durable and lightweight at the same time. It’s also top-mount, which makes it ideal for those who don’t have much space underneath the countertop in their home.
2. Swanstone QZ03322LS.076 Granite 1-Hole Dual Mount Single-Bowl Kitchen Sink
- Free lifetime warranty
- Great value for the price
- Relatively easy to clean – splash guard helps prevent water spillage
- Excellent durability and quality due to its thickly constructed material
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Heavy to move if you intend to move it
- Long and tedious installation
I bought this sink along with my wife, and after a few weeks of using our new kitchen sink, we realized that we were missing out on some features. The first thing I noticed is that the sink is actually quite noisy compared to the one I was using before. The sound is a combination of that of something moving around in the bowl and a gurgling noise from the drain.
Secondly, the splash guard isn’t really effective; after a few minutes of use, there’s water all over the counter, and you get constant drips down your arm. A minor flaw; they do, however, include a splash guard, which is not included on other sinks. I guess you can’t ask for everything.
3. Miseno MCI25-4TM-20 Miseno MCI25-4TM 33" Double Basin Drop In Cast Iron Kitchen Sink
- Designed by Miseno, an Italian company specializing in sinks and accessories
- Top-quality cast iron and enamel construction
- Unbeatable price
- Superior drainage design
- Easy to install and maintain
- No special tools required
- Solid cast iron construction – built to last
- Includes all accessories and installation hardware
- Some owners state they wish it was a little deeper
- Some owners state the enamel scratches too easily
If you’re looking to buy one of the best built top mount kitchen sinks, do consider checking out the Miseno MCI25-4TM. One of the best things about this sink is its superbly-designed drainage system. The sink’s round shape maximizes convenience and its short depth facilitates easy cleaning.
The MCI25-4TM is made of a premium quality cast iron and enamel that is both durable and long lasting. That’s not all as the design is also equipped with a built-in richdrain system which also helps with a smooth flow of the waste water. Moreover, the sink doesn’t rust and is rust resistant. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty against defects.
4. Kraus KTM25 25 inch Topmount Single Bowl 18 gauge Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
- 18-gauge stainless steel
- Quick and easy installation – only takes 1 person 2 hours to complete
- Durable, long-lasting, and chip-resistant
- Includes an optional cutting board
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Can accommodate big bowls and pots and pans
- Only one bowl
- No side sprayer
- A bit expensive
My top pick for the best sink is the Kraus KTM25 25 inch Topmount Single Bowl 18 gauge Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink. I chose this one because of all of the features it offers and the fact that it has an excellent quality to price ratio. This Kraus sink comes with a top mount faucet and two drainers, with an option to add a side sprayer. Not to mention that its cost is really affordable.
The sink comes with an 18-gauge stainless steel finish, which is even and polished, making it elegant. It also features a chamfered edge for a comfortable grip. The top mount design comes with a three function sprayer, which allows you to easily switch between spray and stream modes.
5. Ruvati 33 x 22 Inch Drop-in Topmount 16 Gauge Zero-Radius Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Single Bowl
- Quality construction
- Drop-in installation – no need for additional mounting hardware
- Stainless steel material is easy to clean and provides corrosion resistance
- Impact/scratch-resistant barrier grants resistance to everyday use
- Aesthetic appeal
- All-around design is resistant to clogging and stays odor-free
- Smaller-than-average capacity- 32 gallons total
- Mounting hardware not included
- Beautiful design does not allow for installation of an extra sink
For all-around style, function, and durability, our top pick is the Ruvati drop-in Topmount Kitchen Sink. It boasts a heavy-duty stainless steel construction and splash-resistant rim that will combine well with any home environment.
The drop-in installation is especially easy and won’t require you to buy any tools or extra mounting hardware. All you have to do is set the sink and countertop together before tightening the screws. According to customer reviews, the overall design of this kitchen sink is particularly attractive. Not only are the curves gorgeous, but the all-around design also works well for any type of function. Plus, its 16 gauge stainless steel surface resists rust, bacteria, scents, and stains.
6. KOHLER K-5871-4A2-0 Riverby Single Bowl Top-Mount Kitchen Sink
- Great value for the money
- Solid construction
- Good height
- Attractive design
- Easy to clean
- Faucet hole can fit a 1.5-inch diameter faucet
As compared to a stainless steel kitchen sink that can be quite expensive, the top kitchen sink is a good budget-friendly option.
This top kitchen sink is made of white ceramic and features a solid, rectangular basin with straight sides, tapered corners, and flared walls. It is backed with a 3/8-inch thick white ceramic bottom that is completely glazed over. The metal that trims the rim of the sink is zinc-coated to prevent corrosion.
The KOHLER K-5871-4A2-0 is also designed with a child safety plate and grates that provide protection from accidental injury. The sink has a steep side – front to back – that happens to be the most beautiful part of the sink.
7. Sinkology KPD-1515HA Seurat Drop In Handmade Pure Solid Copper 15 in. 1-Hole Bar Copper Sink in Antique Copper
- Made from solid copper
- Overall matte finish
- Comes with accompanying faucet
- Ideal for a variety of kitchen decors
- Very solid construction
- Very appealing look
- The thick copper might be hard for some to work with
- Might be slightly too heavy for some sinks
- More expensive than some
- Copper stains easily
The Sinkology KPD-1515HA copper hand-crafted kitchen sink is a great choice for people looking for a solid, high-quality sink. It’s very bold, so it’s ideal for people who are looking to have a sink that will have a lasting effect on their kitchen.
It is hand made from solid copper, which is durable because it’s mined from the earth and then hammered into shape. Because it’s handmade, each sink will look different. It’s also available in 9 different finishes, including nickle.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which brand of kitchen sink is best?
Cost is one parameter, but it’s important to consider the product itself. This will require some product research and analysis of your specific needs for storage and accessories. For example, if you have a relatively small kitchen and need extra prep space but you also need a place for your child to do homework, then you may want to look for a custom-installed sink that includes a drop-in workspace.
If you own a lot of small specialty kitchen tools like garlic presses and cheese graters, then you may want to buy a larger deep sink with lots of drawers and baskets for organization. A smaller single-bowl sink, on the other hand, might be perfect for you if you have a lot of covers to remove and clean.
What are the best undermount kitchen sinks?
This style of sink is really the most functional kitchen sink design because you have greater flexibility and more options when choosing faucets and sinks. With these sinks, you can use a farmhouse sink, apron sink, or single or double bowl in your dining room or kitchen.
You can also purchase an inexpensive farmhouse sink and just replace the drop-in faucet, so you don't have to switch out the bowl if it is already in. This makes it much cheaper to switch out a basin than it would be to remodel your entire kitchen.
A very large apron sink is also very popular in modern kitchens as they really highlight a rustic or industrial style without taking away from the design of the room.
What is better undermount or top mount sink?
Mounting style is important in your decision because once it is installed, that is the only style you can get. If you decide on undermount, then you cannot switch to top mount later. It is much easier to install an undermount sink than a top mount sink.
Top mount sinks can be more visually appealing, and since they are above your counter, they don't eat up a side of your cabinet space. While undermount is very popular and more typical, top mount sinks have some advantages. If you have a big, beautiful granite counter, top mount sinks allow you to show off that beautiful stone and don't take up your valuable "counter space."
Top mount sinks also have the advantage of allowing you to avoid the unsightly gap between the sink edge and the counter.
Should I get a 16 or 18 gauge sink?
The sink is basically the bottom of the sink cabinet so as the sink goes, so does the kitchen. You should get a sink that compliments the house and your design. You can choose to buy a stainless steel sink or a porcelain enameled sink according to your taste.
However, if you have a large sink, you need to think about the weight of the sink and whether you will have enough space to accommodate it in your kitchen. If you think that your sink will not fit or will have a problem in your kitchen, you can always search for a brand that has small sinks for kitchens.
Kitchen sinks can have a range of sizes. And they can be made of different materials. This is why it’s so hard to come up with a universal list of all the best kitchen sinks you can get. But we have set out to do just this by rounding up the top choices in each category and highlighting the pros and cons of each. We hope this helps you decide which sink is best for your needs.