Good news because we've sorted the chemical shower filters from the duds.
The water in America is arguably among the hardest and worst quality water in the modern world!
Hard water can leave mineral deposits on your fixtures, and rusty hair. Hard water can even smell a bit like sulfur!
On a daily basis, you're coming into contact with harsh water. Not only does it sound bad to smell, look or fight with hard water, but it is bad for you!
Worse, you can be unwittingly harming yourself and your family with misted steam from a showerhead.
Hard water contains minerals that are usually lead, iron, barium, nickel, magnesium and calcium. Many of these are health hazards!
|AquaHomeGroup 15 Stage Shower Filter||Best Overall|
|Replacement Filter||Budget Pick|
|'Bang-for-the-Buck' Essential Indicators Water Test||Upgrade Pick|
1. AquaHomeGroup 15 Stage Shower Filter
- Easy installation
- Decent filtration
- Vitamin C filter adds an extra level of filtration by filtering out heavy metals and chemical residue that you tend to get with chlorinated water.
- Channels liquid from shower head evenly to ensure no clogging or stuttering of stream
- Increase water pressure
- Consistent water flow due to precise micro-mesh filtration system
- Use biodegradable filter media
- Save money by reducing your use of bottled water
- Longer and healthier life for the shower head
2. AquaBliss High Output Universal Shower Filter
- Use it with older showerheads
- Easy installation – no tools required
- Reusable filter that lasts for up to 6 months
- Removes chlorine, heavy metals, mold and mildew
- Boosts hot water pressure up to 2x
- Unclogs water flow that’s been sluggish due to mineral buildup
- Filter is easy to clean, reuse, or replace
- Boosts skin and hair health
What makes this showerhead filter stand out from the crowd is that it doubles as a shower filter for chlorine, heavy metals, mold and mildew, and it boosts hot water pressure. Chlorine is the most frequently used chemical disinfectant, but it’s also one of the most common culprits for itchy, irritated skin, hair loss, dandruff, and brittle hair. Using an in-line shower filter allows you to enjoy a satin smooth, chlorine free shower and ensures that your body is getting all of the vitamins, minerals and nutrients it needs to feel its best.
To save even more time, the AquaBliss’s cartridge filter is easily accessible making it quick and easy to replace. And it also lasts longer than other shower filters, lasting up to six months before needing replacement.
3. AquaHomeGroup 15-Stage Replacement Premium Filter Cartridge
- Innovative design can handle high water pressure
- Great customer service
- Universal fitment option
The AquaHomeGroup replacement shower filter cartridge is an excellent choice. It is easily comparable to Aquasana – one of the most popular models in the industry. AquaHomeGroup has an incredibly innovative design.
Another favorable aspect of this filter is its compatibility with different brands. It can be easily installed without using any mounting tools. These features are indeed hard to beat.
This showerhead filter grants you excellent value for money. You can feel ecstatic without having to worry about spending too much. That in itself is very important for many users.
4. Sonaki Vitamin C Shower Refill Filter Cartridge
- Largest volume per filter
- Easy installation
- A little bulky
- A little too long
- Not ideal for use if you want to fit multiple filters on the shower head
Iron and Heavy Metals, Valuable Ions, and Pharmaceutical Accus and Other Unwanted Chemicals From Your Water – EXTRA LARGE (250-750 Gallons).
This shower filter from Sonaki contains six different types of Vitamin C beads which effectively remove chlorine and chloramines in addition to lead, odors, pesticides, hydrogen sulfide, trihalomethanes, fluoride, fluoride, and heavy metals from your water. The filters are also great if you want to remove pharmaceuticals from your water, which helps maintain a healthy and balanced body.
The filters combine Vitamin C with KDF and silver to eliminate a variety of chemicals and heavy metals from your shower water. Each filter lasts for up to four months, which is more than twice as long as other filters of similar size.
5. Sprite HOC High Output Replacement Shower Filter Cartridge
- Durable filter lasts up to 6 months
- Good value for the money
- Available in different colors
- No leakage
- Easy to install
- Does not clog easily
- Offers better water pressure
- Defeats hard water and some chemical buildup
- Improves the quality of the water
- Reasonably priced
- Must be used with brass connectors to ensure nothing leaks out
- Need to purchase a wrench to tighten the connectors
- Might not fit properly on some shower systems
The Sprite HOC High Output Replacement Shower Filter Cartridge is our top pick for shower filters as it filters water better than several others. Its lifetime is also much longer than most, and its design is hassle-free – no extra pieces or connectors are necessary to install the unit.
The only catch is that you must have brass connectors installed before you can use the filter. You have two options in that regard: either have someone install one for you, or buy one yourself and install it yourself. Either way, the installation procedure is very easy; a skilled plumber should only need about ten minutes to finish the job.
6. Aquasana AQ-4105 Showerhead Filter System
- Kills germs
- Helps you conserve up to 20,000 gallons of water
- Removes chlorine, chloramine, and other contaminants
- Easy to install
- Average filter life
- Wax build up is also an issue
The Aquasana AQ-4105 Showerhead Filter System with Handheld Wand checks all the boxes for what we look for in the best shower filters.
Filters are the most common choice when it comes to hardness reduction, as they can be installed in just a few minutes. This particular system comes with one filter that is ideal for a single showerhead, and with the included handheld wand. It’s considered a dual filter system and is suitable for use in showers where water is shared by multiple people.
The built-in filter is easy to install, and returns clean water from your shower, so that you and your family can wash off and feel healthier and cleaner than ever before. The filter cartridge also has a 10,000 gallon capacity, which further prevents any future build-up of minerals that could clog the filter and reduce it’s effectiveness.
7. AquaBliss Replacement Multi-Stage Shower Filter Cartridge
- Great value for the price
- Easy to install, even for those with no technical experience
- Lasts a long time
- Provides a soft feel to the skin
- Effective against chlorine, lead, chlorine-caused hair loss, and hard water residue in the home
- More expensive models remove many more contaminants
- Filter lasts up to 1.5 years
- Replaceable filter cartridge lasts up to 1.5 years
Real life is messy, and nowhere is that more evident than in our shower. We shed dead skin cells, washing off dirt, and chlorine and aerosolized particulates. We also bring pollutants into the home that can cause health problems.
We can significantly reduce the toxic contaminants in our showers with an in-line shower water filter. The AquaBliss replacement multi-stage shower water filter employs a 5-stage filtration process that removes 99% of contaminants along with beneficial minerals, improving taste and feel and moisturizing skin. It eliminates many common causes of both skin and eye irritation.
8. Replacement Filter
- Several filters to choose from
- Reduces chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, pesticides, and herbicides
- Ideal for those with sensitive skin
- Low cost
- No replacement filters offered
- No warranty
- A bit clunky
These shower head filters from Clearly Pure offer the benefit of removing chemicals and hard water so you can wash your hair and take a shower with soft water. They work by filtering the water as it comes out of the shower head.
You can choose from a Stainless Steel, Plastic, or Oracal filter. The stainless steel and plastic filters are easy to clean and reuse, while Oracal filters are one-time use only. We’d recommend the stainless steel filter because you can clean and reuse it several times before you’ll need to buy a replacement filter.
The filters are estimated to last up to six months or more depending on how much water you use. The pieces you put into each shower head are supposed to be replaceable and fit on most shower models. One drawback is that there are no replacement filters offered for these. Still, if you think about how much these filters can save you on your water bill and how much money you can save from using reusable filters, they’re a small investment!
9. Sprite HE7-CM Hand Held Pure 7 Setting Shower Filter
- Easy to install without plumber
- 10,000 gallon capacity
- Maintains showerhead with ease
- Lasts up to three years
- Low budget, high quality
The Sprite HE7-CM is a straightforward, affordable shower head filter that will do an admirable job at removing or greatly reducing chlorine, fluoride, lead and heavy metal contamination in your water.
Sprite customer service is comprehensive and has been a talk point in most reviews. They will walk you through the process and help you place an order if you need assistance. Overall, the product is lightweight, easy to install, aesthetically pleasing and functional.
One complaint cited several times is how this filter doesn’t remove different substances at the same time. Treating one contamination and not the other may be a problem if you want everything taken care of at once.
10. Filtered Shower Head
- High water pressure
- Mix of metal and plastic parts for durability
- Includes an additional filter
- Easy to detach for cleaning
- 72% OFF Today
- Plastic housing can be a bit smaller than expected
- Plastic handle can be a bit difficult to adjust
Since our Promise to our customers is providing a product that is 100% Money Back Guaranteed and Free Shipping within 30 days, we can't offer you a confusing MONEY BACK ___ within ___ days Guarantee. But we are more than sure these high quality products will make your days better!____
11. Aquasana Shower Water Filter System
- Quick & Easy Installation
- Provides 6 Months of Increased Cleanliness Compared to Softened Water
- Can Be Used on Pipes Up to 40 Inch Diameter
- Low Maintenance & Long-Lasting Filter System
- A Little on The Pricey Side
- Instruction Manual May Be Telling You What You Already Know
If you want to immerse yourself in some luxurious spa-like shower experience without blowing your budget or taking out a second mortgage, this is the product for you.
By far, the most popular disadvantage of hard water is the residual soap scum that building up in the tub and shower walls. But what if I told you there’s a solution to this problem that costs you virtually nothing? I am talking about shower water filters that can reliably eliminate 99% or more of the chlorine and other harmful substances in your water.
The Aquasana Shower filter is perhaps the best shower water filter on the market today. It uses a combination of KDF Filtration Media and High-grade Carbon that will slowly eliminate the contaminants in your hard water. It also uses a patented shower head that uses multiple jets, each targeted towards an individual part of your body.
12. Sprite Showers HOB-CM High Output Brass Metal Shower Filter Housing
- Filters both hot and cold water
- Simple installation
- Removes many chemicals and contaminants
- Attractive, sleek design
- Adjustable chrome shower head included
- 5-years of warranty
- No filtration for salt water
If you’ve ever looked up shower head filters online, you’ve probably noticed that the vast majority of them are made of plastic. While many shower filters still use a plastic housing, the Sprite Showers HOB-CM High Output Metal Shower Filter Housing is made out of chrome.
In addition, the water filter cartridges used in the HOB-CM are made of glass instead of plastic. There are also a few other metal shower filtration systems on the market, but they’re rather expensive, making the HOB-CM a relatively great deal compared to its competition.
The Sprite HOB-CM works great for chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia, and it removes nearly all heavy metals like lead, copper, and zinc. Due to the design of the filter, you’ll see a slight drop in water pressure from when the filter is in use. However, the shower head included with this system has a high-output flow rate that can compensate for the reduced pressure.
13. Berkey Shower Filter
- Washable filter cartridge
- High flow rate
- Powerful massage setting
- Chemical-free showering experience
- Outstanding customer service
Finding the best shower head filter is no easy task. There are so many different products out there, all claiming to offer perfectly filtered water. We put the Berkey Shower Filter through rigorous testing and found the quality of the product to be very high.
This shower head comes in either chrome or brushed nickel and has a very attractive, modern look about it. The filter cartridge is made from stainless steel and is removable, so you can clean it. The flow rate is very high, even on the lower settings, so the shower head atomizes nicely.
The shower head offers a stream that’s powerful enough to give good water pressure. The massage setting is great for lathering up or for washing your hair.
14. 'Bang-for-the-Buck' Essential Indicators Water Test
- Guaranteed quality of pollutants removal
- Possibility to establish whether you want a whole home filter or just a shower water filter.
- Many consumers give positive feedback about the shower head filter.
- Positive impact on sinuses
- No chlorine or chemicals in your water
- Easy to replace
- Dries out your hair
- Useful for people with allergies
- Lots of filtration options
- A bit pricey
- You might need additional filtration devices
- The flow rate is noticeably lower
- Compared to other shower filters, this one seems to be less efficient
- There are no major cons about the product, hence the average consumer rating.
If you take a close look at the overwhelming number of products on sale, gathering all the pros and cons about it, the EcoCellect 5-Stage Shower Filter is an exceptional shower head filter that can be easily preferred to any other product because of the way it is made. The shower head filter is very effective, as I could experience that myself.
15. Berkey Shower Filter WITHOUT Shower Head
- Basically a water purifier for your shower…
- Highly durable filter – 3,000 gallons of water for one replacement
- No loss of water pressure
- Installs easily
- No kill switch so you have to be extra careful and turn shower off properly
- Like all water filters, requires annual replacement
Chemicals, heavy metals, VOCs & more.
High-quality shower filters will effectively address unpleasant smells, prevent clogged pores, and reduce mineral buildup in your pipes. If you have a mild or severe sensitivity to water hardness, you will find that a shower filter removes many of the minerals that cause problems.
I commend Berkey Shower Filters for creating such a sophisticated yet simplistic shower filter. It does a great job in removing up to 95% of chlorine, chemicals, heavy metals, VOCs, and more. The filter comes in two sizes, 6-inch for single-person showers, and 8-inch for couples and families.
16. Jonathan Product Beauty Hard Water Shower Filter System
- Great for hard water
- Easier to install than other systems
- Works better than expected
- Breathtaking design
- Can be used with hot or cold water
- Top of the line materials
- Excellent customer service
- Reasonable price
- Could use more accessories
- Tubing is shorter than a conventional shower head
Designers of this product have come up with a beautiful and highly effective shower system, making it our top pick for water purification. Jonathans took a unique approach by making this shower system as beautiful as it is efficient. The finished set is stunning – made with top quality materials and a stunning design to match – and it does an outstanding job at removing hard water and chemical residue from water as it uses a patented co-filter mechanism where the soft water filter prevents lime scale buildup, while the other filter removes 1,000 different contaminants.
Installing this system is a breeze, and it comes with a number of different attachments that make the upgrade process quick and effective. With the standard filter, this is ideal for removing 90% of hard water and chemical residue as well as 1,000 different contaminants.
17. Vitamin C Filter Inline Shower Assembly by Sonaki
- Cleans the water more effectively
- Available in 5-Inch & 6-Inch
- Trusted by over 500,000 households
- Lifetime warranty from the manufacturer
- Variety of plastic and metal finishes to choose from
- Some reviewers are disappointed the water temperature doesn’t decrease
And Other Harmful Chemicals.
Why are Vitamin C water filters the best shower head filters available? Since the primary function of this filter is to remove chlorine and heavy metals such as lead from the water, it works much better if you are using a filter for the whole house.
These filters can be set up either in-line or apart from your shower head, making the installation process quite simple.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do shower filters reduce water pressure?
Over the years we’ve talked with a lot of people that are very concerned with shower head pressure. While it might seem counterintuitive, reducing the amount of hard water minerals in your water supply can help make your showers feel more “powerful.”
Most shower filters reduce flow by a very small degree (less than 15 percent) and in most homes, it’s not even noticeable. However, this is not something you should worry about. The primary reason we mention it here is that it’s a question we are often asked. If in doubt, ask your plumber. Or if you're willing to try a filter without knowing, then you can't go wrong with ILuv’s shower filters.
Can water filters remove hardness?
Water hardness is just a technical term for the mineral content in the water. Hard water can cause increased scrubbing in the shower and can also contribute to dry skin, scalp and hair. It is caused by the mineral composition of the water. Filters can help to soften this water by removing these minerals. It's important to note, though, that filters cannot remove all the minerals. Generally, 30% of the hard water is removed using water filters.
Filter technology is advancing and many new filters are marketed as heavy duty water filters for shower heads. They are not all created equally though. To remove the most chlorine and contaminants, you want a heavy duty filter with KDF technology. KDF is an acronym for Kinetic Degradation Fluxion. This is a filter that uses a copper-zinc-iron alloy. Compare the specifications of various filters and choose one with KDF as the main feature.
Will a shower head filter help my hair?
In our experience, the best shower head filters are those that remove chlorine but also prevent hard water from hurting your hair. If you live in a place that has hard water, you may already notice that your hair doesn’t feel as healthy as it once did. Some experts believe that the hard water minerals don’t allow your hair to absorb the nutrients from your conditioner, causing it to become brittle and dry. Showering in hard water can even leave soap residue on your hair, making it look dull and lifeless.
When you first get the shower, you may think that the impurities coming off of your skin are the cause of the hair issues. However, hard water minerals build up on your shower tiles and can then end up in your hair, making it dull and lifeless looking.
Does Sprite shower filter remove chloramine?
Sprite shower filter is not a reverse osmosis filter. It will not remove chloramine. If you want to remove chloramine, you will need to install an R.O. system onto the line that goes to your shower. You can read more about chloramine in our R.O. shower filter review.
We spent hours testing out shower head filters to find some of the best models on the market. Not all of these shower filters worked, but the ones that did worked incredibly well. We hope you find this research useful in choosing an outstanding shower head filter to use in your own home. After reading our findings, you should understand the factors to look for in a shower head filter, know some of the best models on the market, and have a better idea of which shower head filter will work best for your situation.
|AquaHomeGroup 15 Stage Shower Filter||Best Overall|
|Replacement Filter||Budget Pick|
|'Bang-for-the-Buck' Essential Indicators Water Test||Upgrade Pick|